Dr. Arbind Sinha had been with MICA from 2002 to 2015 holding various senior positions. He combines his knowledge of Anthropology and Communication in dealing with development management and science-society-technology interface. He has worked for more than 20 years with the Space Applications Centre – ISRO; the Royal Danish Embassy, New Delhi as it's Communication Advisor; and with TALEEM Research Foundation as a Professor. He is a renowned name in the health communication sector and has studied disaster communication extensively. His book on ‘Mass Media and Rural Development’ and his concept paper on ‘Human Channel of Communication’ have received worldwide recognition. Dr. Sinha is back to MICA beginning May 2017.
Ph.D. (Sociology) Vikram University 1981
M.Sc. (Anthropology) Ranchi University 1972
- Indian Anthropological Association, Delhi.
- Council of Social and Cultural Research, Bihar.
- Ethnographic and Folk Culture Society, Lucknow.
- Bose Memorial Foundation, Varanasi.
- Indian Academy of Social Sciences, Allahabad.
- Indian Council for Communication Training and Research, Bangaluru.
- National Council of Development Communication, Varanasi.
- Indian Meteorological Society, New Delhi.
- Association of Young Social Scientists (1974-1980).
- International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences' Task Force on "Future of World Anthropology" (1978-83).
- Indian Remote Sensing Society, Ahmedabad (1990-94).
- International Advisory Board for publication of series on Communication, Education and Development, Concept Publishing Co.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Creative Communication, Published by Sage Publications
- Life Time Achievement Award for contribution in BCC – Swasthya Sewa Trust, Gujarat
- Distinguished Achievement Award – Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Technology – Society Interface
- Social Research Methodology
- Health Communication
- Disaster Communication
- The Origins of Commercialisation of Technology
- Cyber-culture and the Concept of Rural Communication Centres
- Agrawal, Binod C., Sinha, Arbind, and Sharma, S.B. (2002). Remote Sensing Applications in Brackish Water Fisheries : A Socio-Economic Study. New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
- Agrawal, Binod C., Joshi, S.R. and Sinha, Arbind (eds.). (1986). Communication Research for Development : The ISRO Experience. New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
Agrawal, Binod C. and Sinha, Arbind (eds.) (1986). SITE to INSAT: Challenge of Production and Research for Women and Children. New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
- Sinha, Arbind (1985). Mass Media and Rural Development. New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
- Sinha, Arbind (2013). ICT and education: A study of changing dynamics in India. International
Journal of Educational Science, and Research, Vol. 3(4): 33-46, (online)
- Patra, Santosh and Sinha, Arbind (2013). Social media and the society: ‘network self’ and ‘the others’, Yojana Vol. 57: 48-51.
- Sinha, Arbind, Patra, Santosh, Bhatt, Sunil and Brahmbhatt, Alok (2013). ICT initiatives and agricultural communication in India: gaps and way forward. Mass Communicator Vol. 7(2): 12-22.
Sinha, Arbind (2011). Religious and Social Communication: the Different Forms. Religion and
Social Communication. Vol. 9(2):93-112.
- Sinha, Arbind (2010). Communication Anthropology: the Writing on the Wall, The Eastern Anthropologist Vol. 62(4):511-525.
- Sinha, Arbind (2008). Rural Communication, Social Initiatives, National Institute of Social Defence, New Delhi, Vol. 1(7): 4-8.
- Riaz, Saqib, Shelat Manisha and Sinha, Arbind (2006). Role of Sports in International Relation: A Cross Cultural Study of Reflections of Sentiments through Newspapers. African Journal of International Affairs and Development Vol. 11 (1):97-127.
- Sinha, Arbind (2001). Communication Gap in Disaster Mitigation : A Case of Gujarat Earthquake. ARTHAT (Gujarati), Special supplement on Earthquake. Vol. 20 (3): 127-136.
- Sinha, Arbind (1989). A Holistic Approach to Communication Research : An Alternative Methodology. Media Culture and Society Vol. (11):435442.
- Sinha, Arbind (1986). Communication and Rural Development : The Indian Scene. Invited paper for GAZETTE Vol. (38):5970.
- Sinha, Arbind, and Avrani, Shirish (1984). The Disaster Warning Process: A Study of the 1981 Gujarat Cyclone (with). Disaster Vol. 8 (1):6773.
- Agrawal, Bind C., and Sinha, Arbind (1983). Instructional Television for Rural Women: Some Observations from Knead. Vidor Vol. 20 (4):206208.
- Agrawal, Bind C., and Sinha, Arbind (1982). The Future of Cinema in India. Media Asia Vol. 9 (1) : 5153.
- Sinha, Arbind (1979). Pilgrimage : A Continuous Process of Communication. Research Journal of Ranchi University .Vol. XIV: 227231.
- Sinha, Arbind (1978). Samaj Vigyan Ewam Gramin Vikash : Kaise aur Kahan Tak (Hindi). Bhartiya Samajik Chintan Vol. 2:145-149.
- Sinha, Arbind (1978). Samajik Anusandhan : Pariyojana : AnusandhanKarta (Hindi). Manav Vol. 6 (3) : 169174.
- Sinha, Arbind (1974). Kashi Ke Ghaton Ka Namakaran (Hindi) Samajiki Vol. 6: 27-36.
- Sinha, Arbind (1973). The Specialists of Sacred Performances at Kashi, Journal or Social Research Vol. VII : 37-41.
- Sinha, Arbind (2009). Health Communication Needs in Madhya Pradesh. In Binod C. Agrawal (ed.), Media for Health: Planning, programme and practices (pp: 59-82). New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
- Sinha, Arbind (2009). Women, Media, and Health Information. In Subhash R. Joshi and Kiran Prasad (eds.), Feminist Development Communication: Empowering women in the information era (pp: 291-311). New Delhi: The Women Press.
- Sinha, Arbind (1996). Development Dilemma for Indian Television. In David French and Michael Richards (eds.), Contemporary Television: Eastern Perspectives (PP:302-320). London : Sage Publications.
- Sinha, Arbind (1986). SITE was a Good Experience : But towards What... In Binod C Agrawal and Arbind Sinha (eds.), SITE to INSAT : Challenge of Production and Research for Women and Children (pp: 6671). New Delhi : Concept Publishing Co.
- Sinha, Arbind (1986). Problems of Field Data Collection. In Binod C Agrawal, S R Joshi, and Arbind Sinha (eds.), Communication Research for Development : The ISRO Experience (pp: 3949). New Delhi: Concept Publishing Company.
- Sinha, Arbind (1985). Agrarian Situation and Technological Intervention: Some Reflections from Bihar. In S.B. Chakrabarti, B. Ghosh and A.K. Danda (eds.), Agrarian Situation in India Vol. II (pp: 8791). Calcutta : Anthropological Survey of India.
- Sinha, Arbind (1985). A Moment in Quietness. In Binod C Agrawal (ed.), Anthropological Methods for Communication Research (pp: 7184). New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
- Sinha, Arbind (1981), Anthropology : A Question of Relevance. In L.P. Vidyarthi and V.S. Upadhyay (eds.), Development of Researches in Anthropology in India (pp: 229236). New Delhi : Concept Publishing Company.
Conference papers published
- Sinha, Arbind (1993). Rashtriya Vikash Men Doordarshan Aur Hamara Upgrah : Sajhe Ki Jimmedari (Hindi). Proceeding volume of the Hindi Seminar, held at Space Applications Centre between September 2729, 1993, pp.406413.
- Sinha, Arbind (1990). Computer Applications in Formative Research : Some Experiences. Proceedings volume of seminar on "Computer Applications and Utilization", pp. E10E13, Ahmedabad: Space Applications Centre.
Training / Educational Materials developed
- Sinha, Arbind (2011). Kathabarta (a compendium of teaching modules developed by Arbind Sinha on different dimensions of Health Communication as Facilitator’s Guide), Bhubaneswar: National Rural Health Mission, Govt. of Odisha. (being used as text materials for BEE’s training on Health Communication in Odisha).
- Sinha, Arbind (2008). Mass Media and Education, invited Course Module for Block-4 of MES-014 on ‘Societal Context of Education’ course, New Delhi: Indira Gandhi National Open University, pp: 31-44.
- Sinha, Arbind (2004). Critical Review of Existing Materials vis-à-vis the Project Objectives – Why and How to Do it? (Teaching module being used for their training). New Delhi: Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia.
- Sinha, Arbind (2000). Communication: Problems, Prospects and Challenges. New Delhi : DANIDA.
- Sinha, Arbind (1999). Health Communication in India : The Challenge. New Delhi : DANIDA.
- Development Communication
- Health Communication
- Disaster Communication
- Early Disaster warning (USAID)
- Tsunami Warning (USAID)
- Agriculture Communication Innovation (World Bank)
- Brackish Water Fisheries Management (FAO)
- ICT in the villages of Aizawl (Mizoram) and Jhabua (MP) – ISRO
- Climate Change Communication (GTZ)
- Health Communication Training Needs Assessments (Govts. of Odisha and Gujarat)
- Several training programmes on Health Communication for Government officials in Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, and Uttarakhand
- Information Communication Management
- Bridging Health Communication Gaps (MDP)